UPSC CS Main Syllabus for Paper 1, Paper 2, Paper 3, Paper 4, Paper 4, paper 5, Paper 6 and Paper 7, Union Public Service Commission Civil Services Syllabus for Qualifying Subject, Language 1, Language 2, General Studies and Optional Subject Syllabus.
The main Examination is intended to judge candidate's understanding and command over subject. Question will be covered from Graduation level subjects. Any student who have study their graduation subjects properly they can easily answer all questions without having any specializes study. Nature of Questions is to test candidate's general awareness of a variety of subjects. This will make judgement about candidate's ability to understanding subject and related concept. Main Paper will be descriptional, so keep your answer logical, relevant and meaningful. Details Syllabus for CS Main Paper is given here:
Syllabus of CS Main Exam Subject wise:
Qualifying Papers on Indian Languages & English: Main purpose of this paper is to test the candidate's language understanding and express his ideas correctly and clearly. Main topics of Language are as follows:
- Comprehension of given passages
- Precis Writing
- Usage and Vocabulary
- Short Essays
- Translation from English to the any other Indian Language (Not applicable for English Language).
Important Points for Language Papers
- Paper level will be 10th Standard and having qualifying nature only. Marks obtained in this subject will not be counted for ranking.
- Language of answer must be same language as the paper or we can say Answer should be in English or respective language only.
CS Main Paper 1 Essay: Exam aspirants have to write essays on multiple topics. Candidate will be expected to keep closely to the subject of the essay to arrange their ideas in orderly fashion and to write concisely. Marks will be given for effective and exact expression.
CS Main Paper 2 General Studies-I:
- This paper will cover questions from Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society.
- Indian Culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to Modern times
- Modern Indian History from eighteenth century until present including significant events personalities and issues.
- The Freedom struggle and contribution or contributors from different parts of the country.
- Post independence consolidation and reorganization for the country.
- History of world will include industrial revolution, redraw of national boundaries, world wars, colonization, Political philosophies etc.
- Indian Society and Diversity of India.
- Role of Women and Women's organization, population and associated issues.
- Globalization of Indian Society and it's effects over society.
- Social Empowerment, communalism, regionalism and secularism.
- World's physical geography
- Distribution of key natural resources and industries across the world
- Earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic Activities, Cyclone etc Geophysical phenomena and features. Geographical features and inflora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
CS Main Paper 3 General Studies-II:
- This paper will cover questions from Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations.
- Historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and Structure of Indian constitution.
- Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States.
- Separation of powers between various organs dispute redressal mechanisms and institutions.
- Parliament and State Legislatures structure, working, functions, powers and privileges and issues arising out if these.
- Judiciary Ministries and Departments of the Government and their role in the Polity.
- People's act Salient features and representation.
- Constitutional Bodies responsibilities and functions, appointment to various constitutional posts.
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi judicial bodies.
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues.
- Development processes and the development processes and the development industries, NGO's SHG's etc.
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable section.
- Development and management of social education, Human Resources.
- Issues relating to poverty and hunger.
- Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability.
- Civil Services in democracy.
- Neighbor countries relations.
- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving india or affecting india's interest.
- Effect of Policies and Politics of development and developing countries on india's interests indian diaspora.
- Important international institutions, agencies and fora their structure mandate.
CS Main Paper 4 General Studies-III:
- This paper will cover questions from Technology, Economic Development, Bio Diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management.
- Economy of India and Planing, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
- Inclusive growth and issues
- Government Budgeting
- Major crops and cropping patterns in the country. Agricultural marketing, transport and irrigation system.
- Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices.
- Food processing and related industries in India.
- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railway etc.
- Investment Models.
- Applications and development of Science and Technology.
- Achievements of Indians in Science and Technology.
- Awareness in the field of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano technology, bio technology and awareness.
- Conservation, Environmental population and degradation, impacts of environment.
- Disasters and management.
- Linkages in development and spread of extremism
- Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges in the internal security.
- Challenges to internal security, Communication system and role of social medial in security, cyber security.
- Security challenges and their management in border areas.
- Various Security forces and agencies.
CS Main Paper 5 General Studies-IV:
This part will cover questions from Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude to test candidates attitude and approach to issues to subject. Few important topics are given here.
- Ethics and Human Interface
- Aptitude and foundational values for civil services
- Emotional intelligence concept and their utilities in administration and governance.
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from india and world.
- Public Civil Service values and Ethics in Public administration.
- Probity in Governance
- Case Studies on above issues.
Paper 6 and Paper 7 Optional Subject Paper-I and Paper-II:
Candidates have to select 2 optional subject from the list given below:
Name of Subject
Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Commerce and Accountancy
Political Science and International Relation
Literature of any given Language
Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Manipuri, Nepali, Oriya, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santhali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu and English.